Mississippi - Year Six
This half term our topic is the Vikings which the children and I are already very excited about!
In History, we will be looking at Viking life, people, houses, clothing, food, longships and the invasion at Lindisfarne. In DT we will be making our own longships and Viking brooches. We will also be making some Viking food which will be delicious! We will be visiting Murton Park in Spring 2 to experience a Viking themed day. In Science we are going to be looking at classification. We will find out how to sort animals and plants into different groups according to their characteristics. In PSHE our topic is Mental Health and emotional wellbeing.
If you have anything that you think might help with our Viking topic, please send it in- we would really appreciate it!
In English, we will be reading Beowulf. We will write our own versions of the story, write descriptions, reports and much more! To make reading this book even more exciting, we have a drama company coming in for four sessions. All of the drama we do will link directly to the book which will help us to improve our writing. In Maths, we will continue with fractions then move onto decimals and percentages. These are some things your child MUST know by the end of this half term so please support them:
- 7, 8, 9 and 12 times tables
- names and properties of quadrilaterals (square, rectangle, rhombus, parallelogram, kite, trapezium)
- types of angles (acute, obtuse, reflex, right angle)
A few reminders:
- Please remember to read every night and remind your child to make a comment in their reading diary. Reading diaries will be checked every day.
- Learning logs will be handed out on a Friday and are due in the following Wednesday. These will be shared with the class every week.
- PE kits need to be kept in school. We have PE on a Monday.
- Spellings tests will be on a Friday so please support your child.
- And finally, every child needs pumps and a water bottle.